Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-05, 04:12 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default fished today

I fished a lake that are being drained down to treat the weeds in the lake.The launch is in a canal which leads to 2 different lakes.They drained the water so there is a less than a foot of water to get out of the canal, I had to get out and pull my boat over a brush pile and over a sandbar to reach the main lake. Out on the lake, I fished a 1/2 oz. jig with a Zoom super chunk and caught 11 bass in 3 hours of fishing.The biggest weighed 6 lbs. I fished along a weed edge on a long point. I felt I could have done better switching to a different presentation, because there were baitfish flipping out of the water everywhere while I was fishing and I seldom got bit while fishing where the bait was popping, I got bit more when the bait wasn't jumping.I am going to go back tomorrow with a 4" senko and a 4" cuttail worm in case they are popping again.Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I hope it ain't raining like it was today, I split the seam out of my frogg togg pants climbing through the brush pile while pulling my boat through it to get back to the launch.the water was so low the big carp were running into the boat trying to escape past me. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 04:13 PM   #2
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Try some cranks such as the manns baby series. Immitate the the forage.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 05:56 PM   #3
KH.

hey pmj,remember the lake im fishin,i did good 6 fish in the 1 and 1/2 time period,except no 6 lb hawg lol.thats good for up north.my biggest two pounds,actually,they were all pretty much the same.i was fiahing a weed line just like you said with no luck.i was fishing a hump and caught 4 around its perimeter.then i went in some timber and pulled the other two out.the shad were crazy and the fish were hitting the tiki hard
Old 10-22-05, 06:07 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you know excatly what i am going to say "spinnerbait"

zooker
Old 10-22-05, 06:53 PM   #5
pig n jig

Zooker, I am getting on the same wave length, The bait was about 1.5 " long, I dug deep , but found an old Hildebrant 1/8 oz. spinnerbait with a #3.5 willow and a #3 colorado. it looks more like a crappie spinnerbait, but its the closest thing I got other than the H&H spinnerbaits, Bass fishing Girl sent me. I didn't want to use those for fear of losing them to the toothy critters. How long has it been since you fished Lamoka ? Thats the lake I am talking about.Every cast I expected to get bit off by the toothy critters but didn't have one bite today.P N J
Old 10-22-05, 07:04 PM   #6
Fishie

I went all day today and caught over 40 on sweet beavers and rattle traps at a new lake. I caught them all of docks or the windy flats on the lake. Good fishing right now!
Old 10-22-05, 07:54 PM   #7
Marty

Ivan, what weeds are they treating? Milfoil? How extensive are the weeds and what are they gonna do? I've never fished there, but I'm interested anyways, since it's in my part of the world.

P.S. Nice fish.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 08:07 PM   #8
JB

I've been getting mine on the white spinnerbait pnj..about 1/3 way back the coves off a pt..hope that helps
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 09:18 PM   #9
zooker

i used to fish the skeeter island area. on the left of the main lake channel. i know that 50+" musky are in this lake. chain pickerals are there -of course- and some good bass. can't excatly figure out why they drained it that far..the canel used to be 8-10 feet deep. i liked the lower swamp in late jan-febuary through the ice. man i got to tell ya it has been 15 years or so since i was last on the lake. i hear that they are taking 3 years to rid the lake shore of some kind of grass. 2 years down 1 to go..ya would think a herbicide dripper would take out some of it.-kinda the way they manage hydrilla.

at least they are putting in a new bridge you can pass under..

zooker
Old 10-22-05, 10:40 PM   #10
KH.

the lake there draining here is because of some vegatation i dont the name of.but i know it is not milfoil.but grows rapidly and theres no weedless thing about.its so thick you cant shake it off a crank,and its pi**** me off
Old 10-23-05, 06:24 AM   #11
pig n jig

Marty, it is Milfoil that they are trying to rid the lake of.I thought they were going to give up after the State wouldn't fund it all and the cost not covered is $440,000.00 to treat the lake.The good people that own cottages on the lake got the thing pushed through, so now the surrounding town tax payers will foot the bill, while the rich cottagers get to benefit.There are no public swimming areas or anything unless you own a cottage or a boat , you won't be able to use what your taxes will be paying on if you fall in the district.I am going to hate to see the Milfoil go. P N J
Old 10-23-05, 08:53 AM   #12
zooker

yeah it had a pretty large weed bed to start with. my family still owns cottages on the lake. please note southern guys if a tree falls in this lake some one will hook to it and drag it out..as with most lakes in ny they are very tree,stump,laydown free.. the new grass line would be killer but you are looking at a dt10 or deeper to fnd it..

zooker
Old 10-23-05, 01:03 PM   #13
pig n jig

Zooker, I found the popping baitfish again,I caught 5 on the little spinnerbait, 3 on a 4" senko and 7 on the 4" Yamamoto cuttail worm.I caught a pickerel on the jig, but no bass on the jig today.It was raining,42 degrees, cloudy overcast, wind from the North East at 10-12 mph. I wasn't surprised that the jig didn't work, the windy overcast days seem to scatter the bass making it difficult to target them with a jig.Yesterday the jig yeilded a 6 lber,today 3 lbs was the best fish on the Cuttail worm fished weightless on 8lb flourocarbon line. P N J
Old 10-23-05, 08:44 PM   #14
Marty

Quote:
so now the surrounding town tax payers will foot the bill, while the rich cottagers get to benefit.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that scenario. They think they own the water too, in addition to their land and houses.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 12:24 AM   #15
lizardsrule

I know I'm late for this, but a good jerkbait or fluke will usually produce pretty well when the fish are feeding on the baitfish, especially if they are schooling, just try to match the size.

Lizards
Old 11-04-05, 11:17 AM   #16
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Three possible lures are a 1/4 oz rattle trap, A no.7 Shad rap, or a 3/8 oz double willow spinnerbait with blades changed to match the forage.In the fall the bass tend to follow the schools around underneath them , feeding at will. The fact that the bait was jumping may not mean that they were being harrassed. Look for the pods that are schooled tightly and maybe scattering frantically at times. You know the look and action. Fish2win
Old 11-06-05, 11:25 PM   #17
Bass_fishing_girl

Send a message via Yahoo to Bass_fishing_girl

That is great PNJ , congrats on the 6 lber!! I fished a bit this past week, biggest about 3 lbs. It was really hard for me to bass fish this week. My husband found the crappie biting and we ended up anchored down crappie fishing for a week. I did catch about 6 bass and tons of crappie. He caught one bass on a crappie jig. He also caught the biggest crappie ~darn him~ it was about 2 lbs. It nearly drove me crazy to be anchored down !!
San

Give us this day our daily limit :D
Bass_fishing_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-05, 11:14 AM   #18
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you should have smacked him with your rod and demanded %50 bass fishing!!!! he has no idea how good he has it having a wife who likes to fish!!!
Old 11-07-05, 11:17 AM   #19
zooker

lol dodge guy that is funny right thar..

nice to see the mistress of pain is back..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.