Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-06, 09:38 PM   #1
westhollyguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Please Help - Fishing Lake Champlain

Hi im visiting a friend in burlington vermont and
we are gonna go fishing i hear ther is small mouth bass
and large mouth bass in lake champlain i hear people talk about this lake all the time

with bass pros from this site i knowe i will get some help

im hopeing you can help me and tell me what kind of
lures /plastics/color will get me the most hits for
bass. best color for spinner baits and plastics etc.

thank you hope you can help out a fellow angeler
with some tips and web site info
will be leaving on friday june 9
im in southern calfornia fish mostly salt
thanks
westhollyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 02:13 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

2 colors of tube baits , Green pumpkin and avocado. Any spinnerbait as long as the skirt is solid chartruese.Other luxuries include a black aroura colored sammy, 5" Kalin grub, motoroil/red flake & avocado on a 1/4 oz. leadhead.The farther North you go, the more largemouth you will find, the farther south you go, the more smallmouth you will find. I hope this helps you. Let me know how you did. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 02:37 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pnj,
you musta been born with a 5 inch kalins grub in yer hand rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 03:10 PM   #4
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
pnj,
you musta been born with a 5 inch kalins grub in yer hand rofl
Thanks for the setup JB but this ones to easy.

P-N-J you get a free pass on this one.
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 04:54 PM   #5
pig n jig

Hey, you find something that works, run with it for as long as the fish will bite it. I tell you what ,won't nobody that fishes against me get that kind of help,whether it be just for fun, or tournament time. Especially the Avocado color.There is only 2 lakes that I make sure I have that color, they are Champ & Oneida.Not to confuse you, Kalins color is labled Avocado green.Apparently P N J is the only one who knows the smallmouth catching ability of the Kalin grub ? P N J
Old 06-06-06, 05:07 PM   #6
JB

thats like that lemon kalins grub that we've mentioned before, its perfect by itself of as a trailer...for some great colors as pnj mention click here
Old 06-06-06, 05:16 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
The farther North you go, the more largemouth you will find, the farther south you go, the more smallmouth you will find.
you sure about that?
Old 06-06-06, 06:18 PM   #8
pig n jig

JB, They didn't have motor oil/red flake. Here is a site where I bought mine from. http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...se.cfm?PID=589
Old 06-06-06, 09:03 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
you sure about that?
I was wondering that, too, RR. Granted, I've never fished that lake but I'm thinking the same thing you are.

Welcome to the forum, WHG!
Old 06-06-06, 09:40 PM   #10
pig n jig

Yep, I am .Instead of second guessing me, you should be trying to figure out why that is.Its really quite simple, if you have seen the lake. Would you feel better if I said if he were to fish where he will be staying(Burlington), he can catch a good mixed bag of both smallmouth and Largemouth.I will give you a clue, The lake is divided nearly down the middle of the lake. Part of it is in New York State and part of it is in Vermont State. The boundry line separating the lake has nothing to do with why you will find more Largemouth dwelling in the North than the Southern parts.Come to think of it Onieda lake where the avocado color works well has segregated bass in it for the most part as well. You had better be fishing for smallmouth on Onieda, if you want to bring good weight to the scales.Let me know what you come up with. Instant message me if you want to know why. P N J
Old 06-06-06, 10:56 PM   #11
Rebbasser

PnJ, not doubting you for a second-just looking at it from a Southerner's perspective. In our way of thinking SM are more of a cold water fish, and in this hemisphere the colder water is usually in the north, so SOUTHERN logic would dictate the smallies would be in the north end and LM in the south

Old 06-07-06, 12:11 AM   #12
IL.bassin

OK I got 2 guesses mind you I know little about smallies. Does it have something to do with the River channel P-N-J?

My second guess is the Largemouth swam North to get away from that damn lakemonster
Old 06-07-06, 03:08 PM   #13
westhollyguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default RE: Lake Champlain

I would like to thank everyone who awnserd my post

Thank you pig n jig for the info on what i need to catch bass

This is a great place

And i need all the help i can get....
westhollyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 04:26 PM   #14
JB

reb,
those ol smallies up here will hit on the hottest days of summer, water temp pushing 80's...I am not sure why they prefer the north, and running waters, but they are in any lake around here if its creek or river fed..
even on the ohio river, its full of smallmouth, but you catch largemouth and spot 10-1 over smallies..our best bet for smallmouth is brookeville lake, but all the streams around here(and theres plenty, every couple of miles) have smallmouth...the trophies are up at lake erie or lake st. clair, thats where everyone goes to get the 4-6 lb range on tubes
Old 06-07-06, 04:48 PM   #15
pig n jig

Rebbasser,I knew you would be thinking about it and you were on the right track, but backwards for up here.You know smallmouth and largemouth prefer different environments. Its a natural made lake, the North end is alot shallower, therefore has more vegetation growing there, more suitable for a largemouths liking.You will catch a smallmouth in there , but not compared to what you catch in the southern end where its got hard gravel bottom and where there is a stronger water current and deeper water. Rebbasser, The North wind is usually the normal conditions here in NY. Therefore Everything on the North end will warm up quicker, unless you have a creek running into the south end from the main lake body.Alot of times the winter runoff will stain the creeks up and they will be 5 to 6 degrees warmer than the main lake, a shure bet to find bass in there in mid April to May. If you have noticed, I really get excited in April after being stuck indoors from the Winter. We haven't had much of a South wind here yet this year, a few scattered days, bait shops can't get bait, because the bait won't come up to the surface until there is a good stretch of south wind days to get the algae bloom going .Bait is $10.00 for a dozen minnows, here near me.Thats high way robbery if you bait fish. P N J
Old 06-07-06, 04:59 PM   #16
JB

A south wind here means a big warmup, and the north part of our lakes warm up first in early spring, thats where I look for bass.
Its the same deal here to pnj, the shallows hold largemouth and if ya go towards the dam in all these huge reservoirs, the smallies are found in the same rock and current conditions, its lots of fun! a black spinnerbait at night is how many up here find smallies
Old 06-07-06, 08:11 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Its a natural made lake, the North end is alot shallower, therefore has more vegetation growing there, more suitable for a largemouths liking.You will catch a smallmouth in there , but not compared to what you catch in the southern end where its got hard gravel bottom and where there is a stronger water current and deeper water.
Ahhhh..................I understand now ! Makes perfect sense.
Old 06-07-06, 09:00 PM   #18
pig n jig

Rebbasser, I hope you know the response wasn't directed towards you ? It really doesn't matter to whom it may have been addressed towards, I was wrong for being a jerk about it.Sorry, P N J
Old 06-07-06, 09:20 PM   #19
Rebbasser

That didn't even occur to me, amigo .
Old 06-08-06, 12:22 AM   #20
IL.bassin

Dont listen to him Reb it's that damn lake monster!!!!!!!

http://users.chariot.net.au/~kwray/htm/champ.html
Old 06-08-06, 06:20 PM   #21
pig n jig

ILL,Thats funny right there.I hope Ike hooks into champ when they fish up here this year. I can see the footage now. Ike sets the hook, screams its a big one, as he tap dances on the flipping deck putting on a show.Then his little scrawny @ss gets pulled overboard. He comes up yelling its a monster. Champ boils the suface as mikes scream is finally silenced.A single spectator in a nearby boat yells Never give up
Old 06-08-06, 07:16 PM   #22
JB

pnj,
in that case lets spray him down first with some chum scent, just for good measure
...... not that theres anything wrong with that............

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.