Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-06, 06:27 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jigs

Probably discussed before but gonna start it again. Ever notice the amont of ways to fish the probably #1 fish producer???? There's fineese jigs,weed jigs, jigs for rocks,trash, etc..etc.. There are more varieties of jigs out there than just about any other bait cept for maybe the plastics. Personally I fish three different types of jigs. The spider jig,the heavy jig for weeds and the Demon jig. Those three types WILL produce when all else fails. So whats ya'lls think on this.
Old 06-06-06, 08:34 AM   #2
Bender

I never had fished a jig until last Sunday. The guy I was fishing with is a big jig guy, he caught a niice 3 1/2 post spawn female with it. The only thing I had was a huge pike followed it up to the boat. I am going to try to use them a lot more this year. He was using a black w/ brown trailer and I had both black. I was using a big 3/8 trying to get through some weeds but I think that a smaller one would have been better. Do you have pictures of the different styles Laser?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 11:42 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Ever notice the amont of ways to fish the probably #1 fish producer????
I gotta disagree with this statement here, no way is the jig the #1 producer, I'd say a worm or other soft plastics come way out ahead, and spinners, cranks, and rattle traps are also ahead of the jig. but I will say it is a versatile bait and one of the few that consistantly catches large fish.
Old 06-06-06, 01:56 PM   #4
pig n jig

Rodman Rob, I would like to disagree with you,but everyone is entitled to their opinion. The thing the jig has taught me is even if I am catching fish, I keep moving trying to find bigger fish in the weedbed. When I strictly fished soft plastics, I was content with catching any size of fish as long as I was locked on a pattern and catching them. It wasn't until I started jig fishing, that I knew I could catch fish regularly and keep moving through out the weedbed in search of a bigger fish.It also taught me to be able to go hours without a bite, but not switching up baits like I used to when fishing other lures, because I know the longer I crawl aroung the heavy vegetation without a bite, the closer I am to catching them. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 05:20 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Rodman Rob, I would like to disagree with you,but everyone is entitled to their opinion. The thing the jig has taught me is even if I am catching fish, I keep moving trying to find bigger fish in the weedbed. When I strictly fished soft plastics, I was content with catching any size of fish as long as I was locked on a pattern and catching them. It wasn't until I started jig fishing, that I knew I could catch fish regularly and keep moving through out the weedbed in search of a bigger fish.It also taught me to be able to go hours without a bite, but not switching up baits like I used to when fishing other lures, because I know the longer I crawl aroung the heavy vegetation without a bite, the closer I am to catching them. P N J
my personal expierence with the jig, and what I've read from others, the jig is much like a swim bait........few bites but when you do get one, hold on. lots of others baits that easily produce numbers doubling and tripling that of jigs.
Old 06-06-06, 05:56 PM   #6
pig n jig

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????........ The possiblities are endless, varying from day to day.That is why a wise person chooses to have as many lures in his arsenal as he can find the time to figure out how they work and when and what type of conditions that person understands to make them work to the best of his ability. Each individual has at least one pet lure. A lure he has figured out by putting alot of time in out on the water using it, where it shines above the rest of his arsenal.What would be interesting is to take self inventory and randomly draw the lure selection to use for the day and make yourself fish it all day long. Then we would see just how bad we really are when we can't fish our strengths all of the time ? P N J
Old 06-06-06, 09:33 PM   #7
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have to reply to this thread because as I've said before and I'll say again, to me the jig and pig is my NUMERO UNO bait. Anytime, anywhere, it doesn't matter. I've pitched, flipped, hopped, dragged, swam a jig and all responses to the retrieve are alittle different. I've had the rod darn near jerked out of my hand on a hit and I've had the bite be so subtle that you wouldn't know the fish was there and the only reason you know because the line had moved 2 feet. In my opinion jigs are the greatest bar none. Plastics are in there too.
Old 06-06-06, 10:01 PM   #8
NCYankee

I'm still not a big fan of jigs. Plastics are my go to lures. I use jigs occasionally around specific structure. I like craw jigs, so I recently bought some paca craws. I haven't used them yet but have heard some good things about them. I'll probably mostly fish them as jigs.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 03:41 PM   #9
Bassman5000
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh I love jigs, to me it really is the most versatile lure because with different sizes and different shapes and with all the different plastic trailers, the jig has more possible combos than just about any other lure. And although you may not be catching them on every cast you will most defenitly be hauling in bigger and better fish. When nothing else seems to fancy the fish pull out a jig and a small trailer.

Last edited by Bassman5000; 03-22-11 at 03:49 PM.
Bassman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 04:03 PM   #10
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

OooooOo you said it there bassman, to me, the main reason jigs are so productive is their versatility. You have different styles, different skirts, different retrieves. You can fish them almost every way under the sun and everything is to your liking. And then on top of that you have an unlimited number of trailers and ways to rig them. Jigs are absolutely top of the chain when it comes to baits. Also you can fish them all season and consistently get hits. I'm not saying that you should only throw jigs, because there are situations where others will work better, but everyday I fish, I'm throwing a jig/trailer combo at least a couple of times.
Old 03-22-11, 04:17 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

Old 03-22-11, 04:22 PM   #12
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

i guess that means this thread/topic is dead? LOL
Old 03-22-11, 04:41 PM   #13
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyman View Post
i guess that means this thread/topic is dead? LOL
If anyone is going to answer him....please wait 5 years before doing so.
Old 03-22-11, 05:15 PM   #14
Bassboss

LOL. at least it's still a good thread. I suppose one can never have to many threads about jigs!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-22-11 at 05:21 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 05:29 PM   #15
dave0943

I fish River systems 65% of my water time. I will on any day use a jig. I use swim jigs, heavy jigs, lite jigs, football jigs, many types of flipping jigs. I will even use floating jig heads with smaller swirl tail gubs for finicky fish. I won't say that I use a jig the most. The conditions tell me what I use. I will say when fishing is tough, a jig will usually save my tail. I've been using wacky jig heads quite a bit. I also use many different trailers. I have a whole lot of confidence in a jig.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 07:38 PM   #16
keithdog

I basically have three styles of jigs that I'll use in various sizes and colors. The pitchin jig, the swim jig and the football jig. The football jig doesn't get much use from me as I am fishing mainly weedy lakes with very little rock. I mainly pitch jigs into heavy cover and open pockets in dense weed beds. I'll also swim jigs through cover that one would also use a spinnerbait in. Also I'll use a swim jig in shallow grassy areas. And I'll work jigs near deeper weedlines and around the deeper areas of points near deeper water.
Old 04-03-11, 12:51 PM   #17
pig n jig

Man I thought Dirk was back posting again.I don't even remember posting, thats how long its been or is it because I'm older and just can't remember ?
Old 04-03-11, 06:57 PM   #18
M_A_C_K

The zombie pic was a metaphore for this thread rising from the grave... ooooooo scaryyyyy lol
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 09:09 PM   #19
bamabassman

well look who the cat dragged in........piggie!!! talk about posting again, WHERE YOU BEEN MAN?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.