Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-06, 05:19 PM   #1
Mattern Guide Servic
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lake Palestine Guide Report

Fishing ReportEmail This Report to a Fishing BuddyDate of Report: 2006/06/14Texas Fishing ReportFishing Area: Lake Palestine Mattern Guide ServiceHello Everybody,

MARK Chapter 5: 5-6 And He could there do no mighty work, save that He laid His hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.
And He marvelled because of their unbief.

Well Bass fishing has been Good. With the morning Bite being the best for the Bigger Bass. Although the Bigger Bass have been taken in the heat of the day in deeper channels around brushy cover.

Water temps are in the 80's and the water level is slowly dropping right now due to the lack of rain.

Morning bite has been Good with Bass up to 7lbs. comming to the boat with several Giants in the 8 lb. class being lost before boating them by clients. A frog bite has been accounting for most of the Bigger bites. In one morning I watched 4 Bass up to over 8lbs. pull free off of one client.

They were hitting a Black Frog. Best made are Sumo, Spro, and Bobby's perfect Frog. When fishing this type of Frog I recommend Braided line about 50 lb. You have to wait after the initial blow up and let That Big Ole Bass get that Frog down in her mouth good then set the Hook much like a worm bite to explain it any better, If you set the hook too soon you will pull it out of Her mouth.

Poppers worked well also in bluegill and shad patterns. Bass over 5 lbs. were brought to the boat and released but one clients broke off a monster of about 8lbs. as she broke him off. He was using 10 lb. test. I recommend no less than 15 lb.

Average days have been about 30 Bass per day up to about 7lbs. The senko type baits and the wacky worms were working in the heat of the day in and around 8-10 foot creek channels. Colors that worked well were bubble gum and watermelons.

Bass also hit crankbaits in white with blue backs in and around creek channels. Adjust the crankbait you use according to the depth and water situation you are fishing. If the water is 8 feet deep and Hydilla is growing off the bottom about 2 feet high use a 4-6 foot crankbait and so on.

With the heat getting up to the 100 mark. Use plenty of Sun screen and drink lots of cold water to hydrate yourselves with sunglasses and caps or hats. The Bass are schooling at midday on shad and they are alot of fun they are usually smaller up to about 3 lbs. and smaller but the Bigger Bass are laying in the channels not far from these smaller Bass picking up on shad that come around them durring the frenzies.

Well gotta go and some of you have called for prices and I have e-mailed you back but for what ever reason your computer rejected my e-mails to reply to you. So if that happened to you just call me. Since I am getting such a large volume of calls for rates etc. I will post them for you guys now.

Full Day is $300.00 per 1 or 2 people extra person $50.00

Half Day #200.00 per 1 or 2 persons extra person $50.00.

I will furnish lures but if I furnish rods and reels it is a $25.oo fee per person.

If you have any questions or you want to book a trip just call me at 903-478-2633 or 903-724- 1203 please leave message on machine because I am on the Lake till late. Thanks and May God Bless. Don Mattern sr. with Mattern Guide ServiceReport DetailsFish Type: Largemouth Bass

Water Temperature: 77 to 85 deg F
Water Clarity: 1 foot
Water Depth: 5 to 10 ft

Bait and Tackle: Shimano and Johnny Morris reels spolled with 15 lb. P-Line.Also 20 lb and 50 lb. Spiderwire Stealth. 20 lb. on wacky worm rig and 50lb. on Frog rig.Charter and Angler InformationReport Submitted By: Capt. Don Mattern Sr.
Email Address: donmat@earthlink.net
Marina or Inlet Name: The Villages Marina
Charter Biz Phone: 903-478-2633Submitted by:
Pro Fishing Charter or Guide - Mattern Guide Service
Mattern Guide Servic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.