Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-05, 01:24 PM   #1
virg4x4
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to virg4x4
Default Beginner rod and reel combo

Just wondering what your suggestions on what would
be a good combo set for me to purchase for bass fishing
i have been looking at some at cabelas and bass pro shops, but just not sure on what to get, i do prefer
using spinning reels and rods. any suggestions would
be helpful.

thanks
virg4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:27 PM   #2
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat
Default Re: Beginner rod and reel combo

A good baitcasting combo is the Ambassadure 6000 and Berkly lightning rod combo. You can get them at wal-Mart or a Bass Pro Shops.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:30 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

shimano sahara 4000fb with a 6'6'' ugly stik med-med hvy action 8) that wont set you back to terribly much....about $110... or you could get a pflueger trion spinning combo.....at sports authority for $60 when i got it....came with a pflueger 7' med heavy rod. or you can get a pflueger president with a 6'6''-7' med-med hvy falcon or g loomis rod.....not sure the price on that. 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:31 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

dyas, he said he prefurres spinning 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:35 PM   #5
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you are just beginning, then you might want to go with an open face combo. Baitcasters take alot of practice to learn to cast and being a beginner, I'm sure you want to spend more time fishing than picking out birdnests. Sure, the baitcasters are good, but if you are a beginner, why start wth something that is going to be hard for you to learn and possibly frustrate you to the point that you give up fishing all together?

Of course this is my opinion and you will get them from almost everyone on here, so remember, buy what you can afford and what feel right to you. You are out there to have some fun, not compete about who has the best rod and reel.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:36 PM   #6
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Hmm... a shimano sahara 4000fb with a 6'6" MH action Ugly Stik Lite will set you back $100. I'd suggest this combo over any other. Or you could buy the BPS bionic blade with the shimano sahara for $90. Either way, great rod and AWEXOME reel.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:38 PM   #7
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1118766243;start=0#3 date=06/14/05 at 12:31:32]dyas, he said he prefurres spinning 8)[/quote]
I know but if he ever wants to try out baitcasting equip. he has a idea of what to get.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 04:01 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Trout, I'd go someplace that has the combos and pick them up to see which one feels right to you. I'd look for a 6 or 6-6 rod with either medium or medium heavy action, but I'd lean towards a MH rod. These combos have a reel that is matched to the rod so you know you will be getting a balanced combo. No need to break the bank-you can get a good, workable combo for around $40. If you stick with name brands like Diawa, Shimano, or even Shakespeare you should be fine.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 07:09 PM   #9
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

cabelas has the fenwick hmx with the touney zx reel for around 90 dollars. I love fenwicks 8)
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 07:31 PM   #10
goombass

I just got a 6'6" med action fenwick eagle gt rod with a pfluger trion reel this has proven to be my favorite spinning rig for bass. I only use spinning gear I got them from cabelas the rod was 59.99 and the reel was 39.99 from cabelas

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.