Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-06, 01:05 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Had a very enjoyable day on the water yesterday.

My cable has been down the last couple of days or I would have posted this yesterday.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from a guy who was wanting to know about places to fish around San Antonio. I emailed him a couple of spots, and when he emailed me back he said he was in the Air Force here for a school at one of the local bases and had just recently returned from Iraq. Well, I have a standing offer to all military personnel that if they are in this area I'll take them fishing. Anyway, I offered to take him out on the water and yesterday along with one of his buddies we met at 4:45 and headed for the lake. We launched about 6:30 and headed across the lake. We pulled up to the first spot and started throwing topwaters. Right off the bat I got a dink on a Sammy, and one of the guys got one on a buzzbait. Then I got a 3 pounder on a white Horny Toad and then the topwater bite turned off. I switched them to a couple of my spinnerbaits and both of them boated one.

The sun was getting higher, so we switched to soft plastics-I got a dink and a 2 pounder on a redbug/chartreuse Tiki dipstick and switched both of them to those-they had several hits but didn't connect. This was about 9 or 10, and the bite just shut off. We tried several different areas but no takers. It looked like a thunderstorm was warming up to the south,so we moved back towards the ramp back where we started. We were all throwing something different, and finally about 2 I hung a 5 pounder on a V&M baby bass french fry on a C-rig. I switched them to C-rigs but no more takers. We packed it in about 2:30 or so-the sky was threatening and it was getting real hot.

All I can say is we had an absolute blast. I'd never met these guys before but now have 2 more fishing buddies. They both said they had a great time even if they didn't load the boat-I got to learn a lot about what they did-they are canine handlers and spent time in Iraq detecting IEDs so they had more than a few stories, and I was able to teach them a trick or two to help them catch more fish. Both said they are periodically in San Antonio and got my info so we can go fish together again, which I hope we do. It was a great day on the water.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention what Flyrod offered-to give you an idea of the kind of guy he is, he called me Friday and offered any of his tackle for these guys to use. I had enough, but not many people would do that. Just confirmed what I already knew-bass fishermen are pretty good folks!

Last edited by Rebbasser; 07-09-06 at 01:11 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 01:51 PM   #2
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WOW execellent post and we all salute you for your time and effort REB!!!

P.S Just take me fishing when I'm in your area after I join
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 06:02 PM   #3
Marty

Very nice Reb. Maybe one of these days you'll have your standing offer accepted by a soldier who wears a size 38D.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 07:48 PM   #4
pig n jig

Great deal Rebbasser.What gives with the Carolina rig and the V&M french fry bait ? I anit seen them in years.I used to use the pumpkin/ chartreuse color alot . P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 07:59 PM   #5
JB

same here pnj,
my french fry was dark blue with some junebug in it..remember in the mid 90's all the bassmaster magazine articles yakin' about it?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 09:06 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Actually I ordered some stuff from Larry at Alabama Lakes and he sent along one of his little extras and it was in the package. I liked the color and feel so much I decided to order some. Earlier this week I was fishing with Flyrod and caught a dink on the watermelon seed color-they work!
Old 07-10-06, 02:13 AM   #7
LoneStarAngler07
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

very good story...i like reading those kinds of posts.
Old 07-10-06, 09:47 AM   #8
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Reb, I would like to say one thing. Keep up the good work on helping our guys out there. Nice job. Oh, and Fly Rod, anyone who would share their tackle with a perfect stranger can't be all bad. JK
Old 07-10-06, 02:31 PM   #9
flfireman

Just makes you feel good. Truth that mankind isn't as bad off as everybody thinks it is.
Old 07-10-06, 10:39 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Reb I guess I was thinking this instead of posting it when I first read this. But your one GREAT guy. That's as good as it gets. Thanks for being you.

Lizards
Old 07-10-06, 10:45 PM   #11
crankybait

wow reb thats awesome of you. great job.im sure those guys had a blast. keep it up reb.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.