Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-06, 04:01 PM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ernie

Well, Fl is gettin a visitor.... Should be just what we needed. Lots of rain, a little wind, no major damage. Just hope it don't strengthen up and hurt somebody....
Old 08-29-06, 04:04 PM   #2
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Yea I think my school is closed tomarrow.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 04:10 PM   #3
flbassman

We're goin tommorow, but we're probably off thursday and friday.
Old 08-29-06, 04:11 PM   #4
ironman

I'm getting a little nevouse.
Old 08-29-06, 04:15 PM   #5
flbassman

This your first storm? Cuz unless it's a two or bigger, you won't get messed up unless you take a direct hit.
Old 08-29-06, 05:29 PM   #6
ironman

Did you kow katrina was a 2??
Old 08-29-06, 05:34 PM   #7
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well yea, Katrina was a 2 when it hit Florida I think.

It was a 4 when it hit the gulf coast, and had been one of the most intense 5s ever before that. The thing is when you have a 5 coming in, even if it weakens that rough storm surge will come in as if it were a 5. The surge always has more of a correlation to the strength of the storm a day or two prior.
Old 08-29-06, 05:38 PM   #8
ironman

OHHHHH I see.
Old 08-29-06, 06:10 PM   #9
zooker

aww gee and my rain suit done all get burned up in da fire... oh well my boots will go squish squash..at least i get to play in the mud -and get paid for it-

zooker
Old 08-29-06, 06:42 PM   #10
Christopherkeene9

FISHIN tomorrow!!

I don't really care to much of this little blow storm after getting a direct hit from Charley back in '04!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 07:16 PM   #11
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you are insulting all the illegal aliens..it's ERNESTO..even the d*** meteorologists or whatever they are are in an apologetic mood..
don't want to offend anybody,remember..it's all about INCLUSION..
E-R-N-E-S-T-O...none of this changing it to an american name..

(hic)....say something billy.you know what i'm talking about.
Old 08-29-06, 09:14 PM   #12
WTL

Americans of Latin descent are quickly becoming the #1 minority group in America. This is due to several reasons, the first being the consistent immigration of people of Hispanic origin to this country. In many areas Hispanic culture is supplanting traditional Anglo culture, such as in Los Angeles where the majority of households speak a language other than English. Another reason is the emergence of the African American middle and upper classes. Black America is quickly being absorbed into the traditional fabric of America, to the point where it is almost seen as being as normal as what was the traditional white culture. Examples are ripe even on our own board, as many of the youngster are devotes of what has traditionally been black; hip hop and rap music. The question is beginning to arise, are African Americans even a minority in anything but the technical sense? Maybe things haven’t progressed that far quite yet, but certainly African Americans are quickly transitioning away from where they were 50, 25 or even 10 years ago.

Despite the changes that have taken place, African Americans have for some unknown reason effectively pigeonholed themselves as being a traditionally democratic voting block, while Hispanics seem to be more in play. Amongst different groups, Cubans for example, Republicans enjoy strong support. Hispanic culture is also strongly influenced by the Catholic Church, meaning that in many ways Hispanics are very conservative socially, further playing into the hands of the GOP; and very confusingly so in light of the fact that Caucasian Catholics seem to identify more with the Democratic party despite the strain of social conservatism running through the church. Anyways, for this reason, the Hispanic vote has been identified by numerous political consultants as being a key in many national and state elections, and the pandering to this group has followed in the appearance of Spanish speaking candidates and the handling of all issues related to immigration with kid gloves.

In respect to the naming of tropical systems I observe an interesting paradox. Before the women’s rights movement all storms were given names that were female in gender. This was changed to alternate between the sexes to be more fair. The idea being among women's rights groups that having destructive storms named after females was somehow insulting the gender.

Contrast that to the inproportionate naming of tropical systems using Hispanic names. In this case, apparently someone feels insulted if their group is not represented by naming dangerous and life threatening tropical systems using traditional Latin names. It occurs to me that those who name storms are effectively damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Is it really a big deal what we name the storms? In my honest opinion, if we are just talking about tropical systems, no. Not at all. However, such overarching concern for public correctness can pose certain problems that have been complained about at length by numerous writers, journalists and everyday people. I will not add my voice to the complaints tonight because I am tired and plan to go to Lake Guntersville tomorrow, however I’m sure there are several resident old farts who will happily oblige to list their numerous disdains for our politically correct atmosphere.
Old 08-29-06, 09:27 PM   #13
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

thank you buddy.i knew you could come up with something.
whatta ya mean..old fart?..i resemble that remark..lmao
Old 08-29-06, 09:54 PM   #14
Rodman_Rob

I know what you're saying. I was in the store the other day and say a sign at the register in all spanish, no english signs or translations either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Americans of Latin descent are quickly becoming the #1 minority group in America. This is due to several reasons, the first being the consistent immigration of people of Hispanic origin to this country. In many areas Hispanic culture is supplanting traditional Anglo culture, such as in Los Angeles where the majority of households speak a language other than English. Another reason is the emergence of the African American middle and upper classes. Black America is quickly being absorbed into the traditional fabric of America, to the point where it is almost seen as being as normal as what was the traditional white culture. Examples are ripe even on our own board, as many of the youngster are devotes of what has traditionally been black; hip hop and rap music. The question is beginning to arise, are African Americans even a minority in anything but the technical sense? Maybe things haven’t progressed that far quite yet, but certainly African Americans are quickly transitioning away from where they were 50, 25 or even 10 years ago.

Despite the changes that have taken place, African Americans have for some unknown reason effectively pigeonholed themselves as being a traditionally democratic voting block, while Hispanics seem to be more in play. Amongst different groups, Cubans for example, Republicans enjoy strong support. Hispanic culture is also strongly influenced by the Catholic Church, meaning that in many ways Hispanics are very conservative socially, further playing into the hands of the GOP; and very confusingly so in light of the fact that Caucasian Catholics seem to identify more with the Democratic party despite the strain of social conservatism running through the church. Anyways, for this reason, the Hispanic vote has been identified by numerous political consultants as being a key in many national and state elections, and the pandering to this group has followed in the appearance of Spanish speaking candidates and the handling of all issues related to immigration with kid gloves.

In respect to the naming of tropical systems I observe an interesting paradox. Before the women’s rights movement all storms were given names that were female in gender. This was changed to alternate between the sexes to be more fair. The idea being among women's rights groups that having destructive storms named after females was somehow insulting the gender.

Contrast that to the inproportionate naming of tropical systems using Hispanic names. In this case, apparently someone feels insulted if their group is not represented by naming dangerous and life threatening tropical systems using traditional Latin names. It occurs to me that those who name storms are effectively damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Is it really a big deal what we name the storms? In my honest opinion, if we are just talking about tropical systems, no. Not at all. However, such overarching concern for public correctness can pose certain problems that have been complained about at length by numerous writers, journalists and everyday people. I will not add my voice to the complaints tonight because I am tired and plan to go to Lake Guntersville tomorrow, however I’m sure there are several resident old farts who will happily oblige to list their numerous disdains for our politically correct atmosphere.
Old 08-29-06, 09:59 PM   #15
Christopherkeene9

Man Rodman I know what you mean, that is my BIGGEST pet peave. That or they put the spanish before the english.
Old 08-30-06, 06:58 AM   #16
Christopherkeene9

Just got our first band while I was sleepin' gonna try to squeez in some fishin' before the next one! Looks like I might have like 30 minutes before then!!
Old 08-30-06, 07:44 AM   #17
Christopherkeene9

Just got back since it started rainin'. No bites but lots of various swirls
Old 08-30-06, 01:26 PM   #18
PowerBass

Ernesto, the name just pisses me off a bit. Could have called it Ernie, so it was somewhat American.Looks like Jersey gonna get some of her too, well the last bit of her.
Old 08-30-06, 03:12 PM   #19
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All BS aside-you guys doing allright?
Old 08-30-06, 03:58 PM   #20
ironman

It's supposed to hit me tonigh t....it's not supposed to be that bad so ...
Old 08-30-06, 04:02 PM   #21
Christopherkeene9

Man this thang ain't nothing. Just sprinkles and sunshine all day. But about to get it here in an hour, just south of me. 2 counties south of me have a tornado warning due to alot of rotation.

Nothing more than a rainy day; boring.

I think I wouldv'e rather been in school.
Old 08-30-06, 04:05 PM   #22
ironman

school?????
Old 08-31-06, 07:48 AM   #23
lizardsrule

ROTFL at WTL I actually read that whole thing this time Being as I'm the FNG to FL, I am laughing at this so called storm. This thing isn't even a Storm anymore, it's a depression. Heck thunderstorms from Indiana are worse than this. There are gas shortages in some places, and hording was going on in places I realize what kind of danger a Hurricane is, but everyone has blown this WAY OUT OF PROPORTION It was like a max of 45mph winds when it hit land, and is just getting slower as it moves along the land. As already stated, it's just some rain, and not what I would call a lot of that. I believe it could have been a little rougher down in Miami, but still not a big deal. Heck I went fishing yesterday, didn't have much luck, but even in my little Flat bottom aluminum boat it was easy, mostly just sprinkles Now if it was actually a Hurricane, it could have been tough, but this wasn't/isn't.

Lizards
Old 08-31-06, 03:52 PM   #24
flbassman

Wow, this was a joke. Didn't even rain here today... Fishing is off, no rain for two days, and it's still hot...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.