Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-06, 09:15 PM   #1
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Transplanting?

Can you move a fish form one body of water to another? I tried it this weekend and it seemedlike it worked, but soon I'll have to move at least 50 fish a pretty far distance (35-40 miles) , or else they'll die. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 09:43 PM   #2
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Why do you need to move them??? The only way I can think of is doing it 1or2 at a time with a large bin with an airerator in it.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 10:10 PM   #3
skeeter944

or a 5 gal bucket with an aireator in it. i normally just throw the bass in a bucket and take a 5 min drive to where i throw them in,a small 1 acre pond.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 04:19 PM   #4
RatLTrap

Send a message via MSN to RatLTrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
Can you move a fish form one body of water to another? I tried it this weekend and it seemedlike it worked, but soon I'll have to move at least 50 fish a pretty far distance (35-40 miles) , or else they'll die. Any suggestions on how to do this?

I had a little farm pond that had no fish in it, I got lucky and the lake is only across the street from this pond haha, so i just catch em, and walk em over haha. Well the place has a lot of fish now
Old 09-18-06, 07:53 PM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you better check with the DNR before you go transplanting fish.it is illegal in most places.maybe they would get the fish out by electroshock and move them.they have the proper equipment to transport fish safely.just check with them before you get in a whole mess of trouble.
Old 09-19-06, 07:17 AM   #6
Vabass22

Well, I've been fishing in a farm pond, very small, but stacked with bass, most over 14 inches. In a while they will develop all of the land that this pond is on, and fill the pond in.
Old 09-19-06, 08:43 PM   #7
Bender

I would not move them around up here for these reasons:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...3547--,00.html

And a lake 5 minutes away from me: http://www.woodlandlake.info/WoodLan...3_document.htm

My buddy helped with the DNR study for Woodland Lake. The bass are finally staring to come back in there, thankfully.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-06, 12:21 PM   #8
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Transplanting fish can throw off the "balance" of a small pond and create problems. Kentucky State DNR advises against it. When we built our little pond, 1.25 acres, the recommendations were not to do it at all. We asked about it.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:15 AM   #9
Vabass22

Yes but see, its not really a choice, if i try, some of them might make it, if I don't every single one of them will absolutely die. They are healthy, good looking fish, and I'm just trying to find out the best way to move them.
Old 09-21-06, 11:48 AM   #10
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Yes but see, its not really a choice, if i try, some of them might make it, if I don't every single one of them will absolutely die. They are healthy, good looking fish, and I'm just trying to find out the best way to move them.

You already heard from experienced folks to check with DNR, and if they say no, then keep some and eat them. If they are doomed, they might as well make a few good dinners. I rarely ever keep Bass to eat, but it isn't against the law, and much better than the alternative in this case. If the DNR says it's OK to move them(I doubt that), then the best bet is in a livewell from a boat, but talk about huge fuel costs. Or get a watering trough from some farmer, and plenty of areators. Or just call Peta and have them do a march on the pond, and chain themselves to some logs or something, then push the logs in the deepest part of the lake.

Lizards
Old 09-21-06, 12:13 PM   #11
JB

Its legal here in oHIo, but you run the risk of transplanting diseased fish into a system...we used to bring all the hawgs from lakes to our ponds and pits, but most have been taken out by others to eat.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 03:52 PM   #12
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
You already heard from experienced folks to check with DNR, and if they say no, then keep some and eat them. If they are doomed, they might as well make a few good dinners. I rarely ever keep Bass to eat, but it isn't against the law, and much better than the alternative in this case. If the DNR says it's OK to move them(I doubt that), then the best bet is in a livewell from a boat, but talk about huge fuel costs. Or get a watering trough from some farmer, and plenty of areators. Or just call Peta and have them do a march on the pond, and chain themselves to some logs or something, then push the logs in the deepest part of the lake.

Lizards
I'm with liz on this one , but I also have something to add. If you have a farm pond on private land, the DNR won't care, as it's your land and you can do what you want with it. Don't put them in a public water, as you can mess up fishing for everybody for a long time if they have some type of bug on them. If you do wind up moving them, cath them on heavy tackle, horse them in, put them in a large cooler filled with water from their home lake with some ice and slime coat tablets, then take it to your pond, put in some water from your lake in the cooler, let them adjust, and let them go. You are doing this at the best time of year, so thats a plus. Don't overstock a lake, b/c then they'lll get runty and starve. Good luck.
Old 09-21-06, 05:59 PM   #13
Vabass22

The lake I'll be taking them from, and the one I'll be putting them in, are both private waters. I guess I'll use a cooler, get some of those slimcoat tablets, and aerators. Whats a good livewell adittive?
Old 09-21-06, 08:25 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Rejuvenade is what I use for all my tourneys. Haven't lost a fish yet, and have had them in the livewell for just about 8 hours. Also get some 2 litre bottles of water, freeze them and throw them in the cooler to keep the water temps down. It's better than ice, since ice can contain flouride, and other things that aren't really good for the bass.

Lizards
Old 09-21-06, 09:26 PM   #15
Vabass22

Alright, thanks.
Just found out that it might be as much as 3 years before they start developing. They are tearing this area up, with millions of houses, killing deer, fish, turkey, and lots of other wildlife, and it p!$$e$ me off. There are deer running through the streets, and on the side of the road.
Old 09-22-06, 01:47 PM   #16
flbassman

Quote:
They are tearing this area up, with millions of houses, killing deer, fish, turkey, and lots of other wildlife, and it p!$$e$ me off.
Welcome to suburbia.
Old 09-22-06, 03:09 PM   #17
Captmikestarrett

Default Transporting bass

You can use a beer carton and some newspaper to transport them. Wet the newspaper good and place the bass in between some really wet paper. Put a little ice on top to slow metabolism and transport. In the 1880's a french ickyologist transported 300 striped bass accross the country on a train and stocked the San Fransico Bay with them. One died. He used the wet paper method. The problem with using water to transport them is oxygen depletion of a small amount of water. A simple areator is good but tanked oxygen is the best for transport in water. 90% of the lakes and tanks in Texas in 1933 where stocked via the beer case method. It was part of the new deal.

Capt Mike
Old 09-22-06, 10:17 PM   #18
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

wow never heard of that one before.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 11:23 PM   #19
Vabass22

What kind of beer carton are you talking about? Like a keg, or a 24 pack?
Old 09-23-06, 12:57 PM   #20
flbassman

Like a 24/12 pack. They do the same thing for whales (with a larger container) and shrimp. If you put a bass in a keg, the little guys BAC would kill him
Old 09-24-06, 11:06 AM   #21
Vabass22

Oh, I was thinknig a keg!!
Thanks guys!
Old 09-27-06, 07:03 AM   #22
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

VA save the Bass!!! I say grab a large cooler water arater and drive on. Keep up the good conservation.
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 03:17 PM   #23
Crazykidd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazykidd

I did this once. I took my pick up truck and lined the bed with plastic. Took a pump and filled the bed up with water. Went out and started to catch some fish, caught as many fish as we could. I had a couple of friends help me; they brought their own aerators to keep the oxygen levels up. We put 4-20 pound bags of ice in the bed of the truck. To slow their activity level down. Don't need any jumpers Once we caught what we could place a layer of plastic on top of the water. This also cut down on light and jumpers. Traveled 40 minutes to the lake. Once we got there we took the pump and pumped some of the new lake water into the bed. Waited 1 hour backed the truck down the boat launch and then popped the tail gate. By our count we saved 729 fish. We lost 6 during transit. Not sure how many made it after we released them but I have heard people catching some hawgs out of the lake. I would like to think I had something to do with that.
Crazykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 03:59 PM   #24
WTL

CrazyKidd, that is about as effective a job as I can imagine a regular guy doing. It wouldn't be difficult with a seine, a pickup and som bisqueen plastic sheets.
Old 09-27-06, 05:31 PM   #25
Crazykidd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazykidd

Thanks, I just couldn't imagine letting a major drought kill off this lake. Plus the lake I took them to wasn't all that great.
Crazykidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.