Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-06, 11:42 AM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Famous Athletes that Went to Jail

click

Don't know how long the sports illustrated link last, but heres a gallery of well known jocks..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-06, 02:38 PM   #2
WTL

When I saw that I thought "Muhammad Ali", but on second thought, did he ever have to go to jail or did he stay out while on appeal?
Old 09-20-06, 08:09 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
When I saw that I thought "Muhammad Ali", but on second thought, did he ever have to go to jail or did he stay out while on appeal?
You probably weren't even alive at the time, but my recollection is that he did not serve time.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-06, 08:56 PM   #4
WTL

I definitly wasn't alive at the time, lol. But I have all this history that has been thrown my way for 23 or so years, so I am aware of a few things.

Did you know Franz Ferdinand was assasinated by the black hand, a serbain nationalist group that started WWI? I remember the day very well, I was sitting on a balcony in the old section of prague and venders started running up the street shouting...it was a surreal time to be alive.

But don't take my word for it, read a book!
Old 09-20-06, 11:28 PM   #5
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I definitly wasn't alive at the time, lol. But I have all this history that has been thrown my way for 23 or so years, so I am aware of a few things.

Did you know Franz Ferdinand was assasinated by the black hand, a serbain nationalist group that started WWI? I remember the day very well, I was sitting on a balcony in the old section of prague and venders started running up the street shouting...it was a surreal time to be alive.

But don't take my word for it, read a book!
The Austrian Archduke, of the fabled Hapsburg dynasty, and his wife Sofia were murdered on the streets of Sarajevo, Serbia, on June 28, 1914, this being considered the catalyst that started WW1. Sofia, by the way, was pregnant when she was shot (first)...Damn!

The shooter was a puke named Gavrilo Princep, a member of a Serbian seperatist (and terrorist) group, as you mentioned, and Serbia was part of the once-mighty Austro-Hungarian Empire.
WTL, I'm assuming the next-to-last sentence in your post..."I remember the day..." etc. is a quote. You CAN'T be that old...can you

Linkys of possible interest:
http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/1914/ferddead.html
The doomed couple (handsome folks):
http://www.info.tampere.fi/a/amuri/t...t/image022.jpg
His dad, the Emperor Franz Josef:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/gra...ranzjosef2.jpg
Austrian Battleship, "Szent Istvan" (Saint Stephen), sinking, June 1918, after she was torpedoed in the Adriatic Sea by a small Italian Navy (Regia Marina) MAS torpedo boat. Italy was on OUR side in WW1.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://jove.prohosting.com/~sinking/wwi/szent-istvan.jpg&imgrefurl=http://jove.prohosting.com/~sinking/wwi.shtml&h=294&w=499&sz=13&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=CL jWnZv4bHEqrM:&tbnh=77&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBattleship%2BSzent%2BIstvan%26svnum%3 D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DX

Fun times...riiight!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 12:18 AM   #6
WTL

Flyrod, I was with Patton on that long, miserable retreat from Moscow. George C Scott described it right in the movie, I was there...me, Patton and Napoleon Bonapart.

But seriously, I know more about many things that happened before I was born than things that happened during the first half of my life. For instance, I know a fair amount about Muhammad Ali...and yet Mike Tyson who was on that list was put in prison. Why? I can't remember, all I remember is they took his mug off the videogame Mike Tyson's Punchout around the beginning of the 90s. I didn't pay attention. But I can tell you that Ali and Fraiser almost died in Manilla, Fraiser couldn't come out for the last round - a specific fight, and I can recall it like it was yesterday. And yet that day never did exist for me. I wasn't born yet. But for me, the day in 1066 when William the Conquerer landed in England seems closer than when Gorbechev was deposed.

BTW, I have a 19th century Austrian engraving of Franz Joeseph, I think Ferdinands papa or uncle, sitting in my room. Always thought it was pretty interesting.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.