Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-05, 09:51 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default WOW what a day at the coal pit.

Well I had to catch some fish today, since the last week and a half has been pretty poor by my standards. I got spoiled again today. I really haven't found any lake/reservoir/river that has as good of bass fishing as the coal pit. I went out with the intention of praticing my pitchin and flippin, even though I really don't have a rod or reel for it. I was doing OK, but the weeds were the snot weeds, so they just kept sticking to everything with a weight. I did however hook into and land the biggest Bass of my life today ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) My scale is still dead so I don't really know the weight, but it was 24 inces in length, and had a nice belly on her. I've caught lots of five pound bass, but this was bigger than that. Just a guess, I would say 6.5 lbs. She worked me out getting her to the net I was so tickled I start whooping real loud(probably sounded like Mike I). If anyone was around they surely thought I had gone crazy. I also didn't have the camera since my wife just took it to Cancun with her on vacation :P I released her immediately. I then went on to catch another 26 bass, of all shapes and sizes, the biggest other than the first was probaly 3lbs, and lots of 2lbers. Also a lot of dinks. I missed probably another 10, of which 2 I'm sure were gar, since my bait just got ripped in half, which is what they always do :P I gotta stay away from the coal pit, it's just too much fun, and spoils me rotten everytime I go. Anyway, everyone should have a private coal pit to fish, it's the greatest :-* I just wish they would have a tourney on it

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:59 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: WOW what a day at the coal pit.

thats great scott! congrats on the fish. in the summer i will be going up to my grandma's and my cousin found a great rock pit to fish. i bet im gunna have some stories to tell 8) are there bowfin in this pit? they have teeth like gar. also, they are always shredding your bait and not getting hooked. they are sneaky. anyways, sounds like a great day and keep the good news comin.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 10:46 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i would think that's more a 7+..great catch...i may have to head out that way someday.that coal pit sounds like bass heaven. ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 11:27 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lizard the easyiest way to pitch is to stand on your tail gate of your pick up. trust me you have been doing it for years . ever do this with your spinning rod open the bail let the lure fall till it is about even with the reel then drop the rod while sending it straight ahead in a back hand cast? same motion with a bait caster.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 08:56 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Congratulations on an outstanding fish and outstanding day!!!

According to the NY length-weight charts, an "average" 24" LM would go 8-7.

Two thumbs up.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 09:10 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Marty, I used to have that chart , but lost it. Lizards, that is a super catch. After catching a 6.5 lber I bought another disposable camera. I got some nice fish but they aren't that big. I gotta get a website to post pics from. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 09:51 PM   #7
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Congrats on the catch Liz......Yeah, I caught a 23.5 last year (right before the spawn) that weighed 7 lbs 7 oz. So i'm guessing yours was close to 7 lb 12 oz.......possibly 8....It's nice to know that you aren't saying any fish tale ;D

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 12:23 AM   #8
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Sounds like a good day. Be careful about bragging, youll have fifty people there in no time. Glad to hear youre tearing it up. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 12:24 AM   #9
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Thanks for rubbing it in. :'(
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 12:37 AM   #10
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

grasshopper
you have learned well...you managed to skip telling us what you got it on and how you were working the bait..just like the pros do..lmao! ;D
and [glow=red,2,300]CONGRATULATIONS[/glow]on catching the biggest bass of your life,mine made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
what a feeling..............
again great job..
Old 05-04-05, 12:40 AM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

See what happens. Does a tourney, and now he's too good to tell us what he uses. I see how this works. Next we wont be privy to the coalpit, It will become my secret fishin spot. Whats next??? ;D
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 12:41 AM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

dare i say it??

the next byron velvick?.................haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lmao!
Old 05-04-05, 06:30 AM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats funny tom, Lizards, get on a fishing show that teaches us something. Get Zooker in so we can see the Zook N Stein in action. ;D P N J
Old 05-04-05, 06:33 AM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Thin Lizzy, Are you still using a net ? ??? P N J
Old 05-04-05, 10:19 AM   #15
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

WTG LIZARDS

What ya use a lizzy?
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 11:44 AM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

PNJ,
Yes I still use a net on fish like that.

To everyone else thanks for the replies and kind words. Â*It's no secret what I used, it was a 6" Pulse Worm, in green pumpkin with a unpegged 1/8oz bullet weight, for the biggun. Â*I switched back and forth on the Â*Zoom Black Lizards, and pulse worms for the rest of them. Â*I caught all of the fish up close to the bank, in 2-6 feet of water. Â*I got rid of the weight shortly after the biggun, just kept picking up too much stuff. Â*So I fished the plastics weightless, t-rigged. Â*All of the fish were in the vegetation/wood along the shoreline. Â*They would come out hard and heavy to hit my Lizards especially. Â*As for folks coming to the coal pit, if someone doesn't take you(like me), your liable to get shot. Â*It's private, and the owner's intend to keep it that way for the time being anyway. Â*As for all of you giving bigger weights, well I truly don't know how much it really weighed, so I was only guesstimating. Â*I hope you guys are closer than my 6.5 lbs, but I would rather be low than high. Â*It's not the last Hawg I plan on catching out of there. Â*I know there are some double digit bass in there. Â*I really don't want to assume the fish was too big, but I had one heck of a time to get it to the boat, and net. Â*This was on a 6'6" MH St Croix rod, with 20lb Fireline, and a Quantum Pulse reel. Â*Hope that gives the info you guys wanted, if not ask away, I aint afraid to tell folks what I use or how for that matter. Â*I've been fishing the coal pit for three years hard. Â*So I know it like the back of my hand, and know where the fish are, and how to catch them consistantly. Â*May is always one if not the best months to catch #'s

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 05:59 PM   #17
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
Good fish buddy, congrats! keep setting the hook ;D

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.